MetaSlider has been tested with approximately 15 of the most popular free WordPress themes and the most common plugins (WP SEO, Analytics 360 etc). We have tens of thousands of users who run MetaSlider without any problems. If you’re one of the unlucky ones, 9 times out of 10 it will be down to a conflict with either your chosen theme or plugins.
Try switching theme. If that does not solve the issue, try disabling plugins one by one until it starts working.
How we debug support issues
Error: Uncaught TypeError: undefined is not a function
This is the most common problem. If you see this error:
- Check your theme has a call to wp_footer. Go to Appearance > Editor. Select footer.php on the right. Just before the closing </body> tag, ensure there is a call to wp_footer().
- Check you’re only including jQuery once on the page. Using Google Chrome, right click on the page and click ‘View Page Source’. Search for jQuery and look for any duplicate includes. It is quite common to see an extra version of jQuery being loaded from the google CDN. Remove any duplicates from the page by disabling plugins or searching your theme files – you only want to include jQuery once.
- Check you’re using a recent version of jQuery (1.10.2+), if not – install the jQuery Updater Plugin.
Error: Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token <
If you see this error then the page content has been run through a function called wpautop (WordPress Auto Paragraphs).
Common causes are plugins (e.g. Genesis Easy Columns) or the theme (e.g. Avada). To resolve this issue:
- Wrap the meta slider shortcode in “raw” tags, e.g.
- Try installing the Disable wpautop plugin.
- Try switching themes and check to see if MetaSlider starts working. Apply the same process to plugins by enabling/disabling them one by one. After you’ve narrowed it down to a single plugin or theme, you could either search the source code for ‘wpautop’ and comment out the line, or get in touch with us and we’ll take a look.
Still no luck?
Check out the WordPress.org support forums for MetaSlider, you might find the answer you’re looking for. If not, post a new support thread and we’ll help you out (please check out the Sticky topic first).
Of course, If you’re a MetaSlider Pro customer, you can contact us directly for premium support – raise a new ticket and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours.